Na Pankráci 17
140 21 Prague 4
+420 284 001 444
PAIS'14 Call for System Demonstrations
Conference on Prestigious Applications of Intelligent Systems – PAIS 2014
20–21 August 2014, Prague, Czech Republic
The PAIS 2014 Programme Committee invites system demonstrations for presentation at the 8th International Conference on the Prestigious Applications of Intelligent Systems – a subconference of the 21st European Conference on Artificial Intelligence (ECAI 2014). PAIS is the largest showcase in Europe of real applications using AI technology.
Artificial Intelligence (AI) is a central topic in contemporary computing science and has enabled many ground-breaking developments which have significantly influenced our society. Techniques, concepts, and results developed under the banner of AI research have proved to be of fundamental importance in areas such as medicine, biology, economics, philosophy, linguistics, psychology, and engineering. Consequently, AI has become increasingly important in neighbouring fields and therefore remains a topic of perennial fascination in our culture.
The System Demonstrations track provides AI researchers and practitioners with an opportunity to demonstrate impressive and innovative systems employing AI methods. We invite applications for demonstrations of a non-commercial nature from universities, research institutes and industry. Commercial demos may incur extra fees for booth usage. The aim of a demonstration should be to make the attendees and participating public aware and enthusiastic about the applications of AI methods. It also provides an opportunity to obtain feedback from the AI community.
PAIS 2014/ECAI 2014 will be held in the beautiful and historic city of Prague, the capital of the Czech Republic. With excellent opportunities for sightseeing and gastronomy, Prague promises to be a wonderful venue for a memorable conference.
● System demo submission: 1 March 2014
● Author feedback: 14-18 April 2014
● Notification of acceptance/rejection: 9 May 2014
● Camera-ready copy due: 30 May 2014
● Conference: 20-21 August 2014
Demonstrations of systems employing state-of-the-art methods of Artificial Intelligence are welcome.
A submission consists of:
● A 150-word summary of the demonstration in plain text. Please include title, demonstrator names, and affiliations. This summary will be used to compile a programme for the demonstrations.
● An obligatory 2-page system and demonstration description formatted according to the ECAI submission instructions. If the demo is accepted, these short papers will be published in the official proceedings. Details of the ECAI 2014 formatting style will be made available at http://www.ecai2014.org/ecai2014.zip shortly. This file unpacks to a directory "ecai2014", and contains LaTeX and other style files. The file "ecai2014.tex" is an example paper in LaTeX format using the appropriate styles, and can be used as a template for ECAI submissions. A Word template is also available.
● A short video (less than 5 minutes) showing that a working system exists and that convinces the programme committee that it is exciting, innovative and relevant, and deserves to be highlighted at the conference.
● A demo storyboard consisting of a detailed description of the demo, including images or slides depicting the various stages of the demo. If the video shows the demonstration, then a separate storyboard is not required.
● A detailed description of hardware and software requirements, such as space, power supplies, etc. Demonstrators are encouraged to be flexible in their requirements. Please state what you can bring yourself and what you absolutely must have provided at the venue. We will do our best to accommodate your needs.
● Place the summary, video, storyboard and other files in a zip folder and include this with the submission.
Submitting and Reviewing
All submissions will be subject to peer review by the PAIS 2014 Programme Committee, and will be evaluated on the basis of:
● Significance of contribution / Originality
● Technical quality
● Quality of presentation
● Excitement factor
The submission and review of system demonstrations for PAIS 2014 is managed via the ConfMaster system:
PAIS 2014 submissions will only be accepted in the period from 1 February to 1 March 2014. Do NOT register or upload papers before 1 February 2014! Prior to this date, the site is reserved for configuration and testing. All data uploaded or registered before this date will be deleted and will not be considered for the conference.
The (primary) authors of system demonstrations will be offered the opportunity to respond to the reviews of their papers before the final decision on acceptance or otherwise is made.
The author feedback phase is currently planned for 14-18 April 2014.
Based on the recommendations made by the reviewers and a separate award committee, one of the accepted system demonstrations will receive the “BEST PAIS DEMO AWARD”.
Demonstration and Proceedings
Demonstrations that can be used by the audience and/or that interact with the audience are particularly encouraged.
The demonstration programme will include demonstration sessions throughout the conference with the opportunity for interleaving static presentations in the form of posters or videos and dynamic presentations in the form of live demonstrations. The dynamic presentations should be brief so that they can be shown repeatedly during the conference. Novel ways of integrating demonstrations in live form as part of the conference are encouraged, so please contact the PAIS conference chairs at an early stage if you have innovative ideas in this respect.
All accepted submissions will be advertised on the ECAI 2014 website, in the conference booklet and at the conference venue. Demonstrators are required to register for the conference.
The proceedings of ECAI 2014 will include PAIS 2014 and will be published and distributed by IOS Press as an online open access book. The proceedings of recent ECAI conferences are freely available on the IOS website.
The authors will be responsible for producing camera-ready copies of papers in PDF format, conforming to the ECAI 2014 formatting guidelines for inclusion in the proceedings.
Demonstrators are required to register for the conference.
PAIS 2014 Conference Chairs:
Gerhard Friedrich, Universitaet Klagenfurt, Austria
Barry O’Sullivan, University College Cork, Ireland